BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #wahadojeru-0 | 2021-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simulation of electrons in horizontal and vertical electric fields.

The simulation can be used for physics lessons. Measurements are possible and reasonably accurate. Of course, the animation runs in a hundred thousand times slow motion to see the movement of the particles.

I used this program in my physic lessons. A big advantage is that it is easy to use on a smartphone.

Hints an tips are welcome. More simulations may follow.

P#92876 2021-06-01 05:50 ( Edited 2021-06-01 20:09)

Cart #unstableberries-1 | 2021-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Oh no! These berries are pretty unstable!

P#92873 2021-06-01 03:24 ( Edited 2021-06-01 03:25)

Cart #coinflipper-0 | 2021-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple coin flipper I made for decision making. Credit Nintendo for the original songs and sounds.

P#92862 2021-06-01 01:16 ( Edited 2021-06-01 01:19)

Cart #sevenbucks-1 | 2021-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Seven Bucks and a Dream - a WIP slot machine.

Granny arrives in Vegas with 3 things: $7 in her purse, a dream of hitting it big, and an unhealthy love of the devilish one-armed bandit. Help Granny realize her dream of hitting it big by pulling this lever seven times. No, seriously, that's pretty much it. Once Granny's played 7 rounds, her back starts acting up on account of those real uncomfortable stools mixed with skipping her pain meds so she could enjoy the comp drinks. She's not gonna be able to move, and it'll be up to you at that point to choose "Reset Cart" from the menu or navigate away from this page to play a better game (or, you know, a game at all since, again, this is just you pulling the lever for Granny seven times).

I started this to help me work through some mental blockage - you may have seen other games I'm allegedly working on from my Twitter feed that I'm struggling to get over the hump with. This is me trying to create something super small scale so that I can cross the finish line. Much like Granny, I could use a win!

CONTROLS

• X/Z to pull the lever!
  • Hold up arrow to view the payout table!

THINGS LEFT TO ADD:

• A better looking machine!
  • Cleaner UI overall
  • Over the top Vegas lights/sounds!
  • Title/End screens
  • The Big Bet (tm), where you randomly get chances to bet it all!
  • More Granny sass!
  • Comp drinks mini-game (this is definitely feature creep and likely to be cut!)
  • Probably other crap I'm forgetting!

Enjoy!

P#92860 2021-06-01 00:43

Cart #eyn_raybase-1 | 2021-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So, I fell into the raycasting hole. I'll keep around a small cart with a few routines so I can quickly do more stuff with that technique.

I'm not making a generic routine to display the walls because there are a lot of features one might want to use in their own caster (wall uvs, animations, etc etc), so instead, I made a few scenes to show how to augment a simple caster to do a few more things (like alternating textures on NS/EW sides or having a depth buffer to properly render world sprites)

In the future I might explore ray collision, there is potential to get fun stuff with that. A lead I'm following is using custom collision shapes per tile so hitting a tile will trigger the shape. An example of a possible shape would be a circular column smaller than a tile would be simple to do with a ray-circle hit detection and atan2 to compute the UV.

Addendum: the cart is in WIP because this cart'll never sum up to a finished project and because there is room for improvement. For instance I'm not totally satisfied with rspr.

Version 0: initial release

Version 1: quickly added a sspr map renderer. Costs less CPU than tline for a mostly similar look minus visual jumps in some angles. The renderer might need more work to avoid having the walls and their texture jump as much (experimenting with flooring/ceiling the coordinates might be a lead).

Topic update : moved to GFX samples as it might be a better place than WIP.

P#92849 2021-05-31 18:21 ( Edited 2021-09-13 11:50)

[sfx]
A remix of the theme in Super Mario Bros. (in Super Mario All Stars).

P#92848 2021-05-31 18:04 ( Edited 2021-06-01 22:43)

Cart #mujusukip-0 | 2021-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Remember my Evolution of Trust Demo game? Well I made the full version of it!

P#92846 2021-05-31 16:10

Cart #saturn91devilskitchen_1-0 | 2021-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The Game

You are one of the devils many servant and have to feed him in time. And your workshedule is litarly hell!! Can you make it trough your shift?

How to Play

It is a combination of cocking and Platforming. You can beat the 20 Levels one after an other or in a pretty challenging Speedrun mode.

You start with 3 Health, if you get damaged you can refill your health by eating some of the food, but the Master does not like this :D.

Details

This is the Release version of my Game Devil's Kitchen :D I programmed it on and off between february 2021 and Mai 2021. The deepest barebone mechanics are loosly based on this Video by the youtuber Nerdy Teacher

All in all he has some great videos for beginners to offer but especially the platformer series is genius!

Have fun :D

Get more like this on Saturn91.dev

P#92834 2021-05-31 08:03

Cart #bons8-0 | 2021-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#92823 2021-05-30 22:53

Hi everyone - recently bought PICO-8 and figured I'd share my first demo called Phases!

It's a short loop of visual FX and looped audio. I haven't figured out yet how to make more than one music pattern, maybe next time :)

Hit me up if you'd like to start a demo group for fun!

-Colin

Cart #phases-0 | 2021-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#92812 2021-05-30 18:07

Hi!

So I was having trouble finding a non-manual way to build and deploy PICO-8 zips automatically to itch.io... At first I was juggling a few bash scripts, then I tried to do something with "-x build.p8", but it felt a bit cumbersome.

And then I took a step back and realised what I wanted was really a good old Makefile 😁

So here it is, a Makefile to build stuff and publish it to itch.io, all automated!

Have a look, try it out, and let me know what you think, what could be better, etc. I'm still very new to the PICO-8 scene, so I don't really know what the standard workflow looks like, but I like to over-engineer things to make my life easier 😂

https://github.com/tducasse/pico8-deploy

P#92806 2021-05-30 15:10 ( Edited 2021-05-30 15:13)

Cart #fuzzy_dream-0 | 2021-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

Tiny game made for the Mini Jam 80: Cats.

• Control Mc Snuffin and shoot invaders trying to take control over your tower.
  • Build your tower higher by killing enemies.
  • Shoot arrows by pressing up or down depending on the direction.

Limitation

The jam had a limitation of 8x8 tiles which PICO-8 does easily. All sprites are made in this tile format and clipped together where needed in a tilemap. One exception is the cover image / title screen that uses higher resolution.

P#92805 2021-05-30 12:22

Cart #wastedspace01-0 | 2021-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Posting this for playtesting. Please leave feedback/things to be changed if you play!
Enemies spawn in the box

arrow keys- move
z/c- attack (o)
x/v- jump (x)

edit feb 2022:
wow I was not expecting this to get any sort of attention and the unfinished state this is in is honestly embarrassing lol. since last year a lot has changed and even this demo was not the version I intended to publish (but needed to due to time constraints). hopefully I'll have a semi-finished build up soon, but I'm a little busy with another project right now. you can look forward to that I guess! thanks for trying this out and giving feedback, it's really appreciated.

P#92796 2021-05-30 01:34 ( Edited 2022-02-28 03:10)

Cart #pepsiman-1 | 2021-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

BEPISMAN

[0x0]

Help Bepisman reach the vending machine!

Controls

O: Slide
X: Jump
Left/Right: Move

If the timer reaches 0, you will lose a life. Lose all your lives and its game over!
Bumping into other obstacles will make you fall and lose a few seconds.

Items and other objects

Can

[0x0]

Collect Bepis to gain time!

Flag

[0x0]

Pass these flags for a checkpoint!

Vending machine

[0x0]

Reach the vending machine to win!

Truck

[0x0]

Slide down these to avoid them!

Others

[0x0]

[0x0]

[0x0]

[0x0]

You can jump over cars and other obstacles, but not everything!

Comments

My second PICO-8 game, after almost a month working on it

This is a parody of the Pepsiman game for PSX first stage, its a bit lengthier and has a few modifications in the gameplay, but I tried to capture a bit of the essence of the real game.

All the code except a few very important snippets was made by me and right now it's a mess to follow. Maybe someday I'll refactor and tidy it a bit, for clarity and performance.

Please if you have any suggestions/bugs/comments, make me know, to keep growing in my PICO-8 skills.

Thanks and enjoy!

Credits

Jonbro for the draw tri function
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2171

Felice for the qsort with comparator function
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=50434#p50434

Melody Man for the notes of the music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1-_vXcmews

P#92782 2021-05-29 17:56

Please note:

This is NOT a game. It's a simulation. There is nothing "playable" per se.
Also, the simulation can get very slow from time to time. It's not a bug, it's... Just don't worry about it.
Since I'm german most of the application is german. This affects mainly "options" and "stats".
Maybe I will update this cart with all texts translated into English.

Introduction

This entry was done for a local hackathon. The theme was "simulation of a pandemic".
Sadly, even though we were one of the only three teams to adhere to the theme, we didn't win.
We chose pico-8 because of its simplicity, and it being very straight-forward to work with.

What you're looking at:

The main via simulates a hand full of people (visualized via small squares) that go about their day.
One of them starts out as patient zero, and it will (or won't, depending on what you configure) start infecting others.

Patients

People have various attributes, one of them being the state of infection.
I won't go into detail, but the color of the squares indicates health.
People start out grey (healthy), and once infected turn yellow > orange > shades of red.
After recovering (or getting vaccinated) they turn green.
Also, a light grey "head band" shows the patient has been vaccinated; a white "mask" shows the patient is wearing a mask.

Controls

[X] Reset simulation, keeping your configuration
[TAB] Open configuration
[S] Show statistics

Only in configuration menu:
[Up, Down] Move selection
[Left, Right] Decrease/increase value

Not shown in-game:
[F] Vaccinate a percentage of healthy (grey) people.

Cart #beetrootmonkey_hackathon_2021-0 | 2021-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Special thanks to all the people that collaborated with me on this.
That's it. Have a nice day.
Also, sorry I couldn't provide a better label (the Image used for the "game").

P#92781 2021-05-29 17:16 ( Edited 2021-05-29 17:17)

Cart #smoothcam-0 | 2021-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My test for a smooth camera system. I plan to integrate it into a FNaF style game. Feedback is appreciated!

P#92769 2021-05-29 11:01

Cart #hamburger_chan-0 | 2021-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I got an idea from ハンバーガーちゃん(@HundredBurger).
https://twitter.com/HundredBurger/

Left/Right: Walk
With X: Run
Z: Jump
Up: HENSHIN!

P#92768 2021-05-29 10:06

Cart #eyn_3dmaze-4 | 2021-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The legendary screensaver from Windows 95, recreated in Pico-8. You can now feel like it's 97 all over again, but in 128x128 pixels.

Something is off, I can't put my finger on it. Maybe if I let it run for a while?..

A content note (spoiler) :

Contains mild horror stuff (eyes, bloddy mouth). No screamer though.

P#92767 2021-05-29 09:05 ( Edited 2021-05-29 10:40)

I've found an issue in a recent cart where if I exceed CPU of 2, the reported CPU in stat(1) goes back to being less than 1. (Basically looks like stat(1) is reporting CPU%2.)

And here I was being excited about being able to handle 100 objects without breaking a sweat. :-D

Cart #diginbus-0 | 2021-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

-ElectricGryphon

P#92758 2021-05-29 05:00 ( Edited 2021-05-30 04:22)

Hi guys,

thanks to pico's restrictions, I managed to finish my first-ever game, and I'm happy with the results.

However, I ended up using filthy trickstery to squeeze in as much content as possible, and as a result I ended up with a game needing several non-cartridge files to function. I'd like the feedback, but am not quite sure how to publish it on the forums. I could use some help with this.

The full game either #includes or load()s these files:

enemies.lua
game.p8
leveldata.p8l
peral.p8
shop.lua
translations.lua

Some of the files are generated by my editor, and others are just data kept outside the game for the sake of developer sanity.

How would I upload such a thing so that it would get embedded in a forum post? I could inline the #includes, but it will still need two carts, because the main cart is pushing both token and size limits (8142/8192 and 99.7 % respectively). And what's the proper way to link between same-game carts on the forums?

Oh, and here's a playable HTML export here proving that the concoction actually works.

P#92746 2021-05-28 22:29 ( Edited 2021-05-28 22:34)
View Older Posts